Take time to prepare a job search plan for how you will reach your goal. Take each of your goals and write down the list of steps under each of them that you will need to take to make the goal happen. The more steps you can map out, the easier it will be for you to reach your goals. The steps should be practical tasks that will lead you to achieving the goal.
For example, with our goal of making a career change from accounting to marketing, here are some sample steps:
- Research job postings for entry-level marketing jobs. What are the skills, education, and experience required?
- Join the American Marketing Association and attend one event in the next 90 days.
- Enroll in online marketing course/training focusing on marketing principles.
- Identify a volunteer opportunity to put marketing skills into practice.
- Assess transferable skills from accounting that would be useful in marketing role (project management, analysis, financial management, client relations, etc.).
- Work with a professional resume writer to create a resume tailored to the marketing field.
- Join three marketing-related groups on LinkedIn, and follow 5-6 Fortune 1000 companies in the area that have company profiles on LinkedIn.
- Assemble people in network to act as references for marketing interview.
- Connect with 2-3 contacts at Fortune 1000 companies in the area.
- Identify possible employers and submit resumes.
Give yourself milestones so you can measure your progress. How will you know when you’re on the right track? Include specific dates and numbers in your milestones.
Follow these links if you missed Step 1 or Step 2 in this career roadmap series. Step 4 will be posted next week!
Note: This blog post only touches on certain aspects of this topic and is not a comprehensive list. This blog post is an educational and informational resource for job seekers and is not a substitute for working with a resume writer or other professional. See our Terms and Conditions for additional information.