Research shows that hiring managers typically spend less than one minute skimming over a resume and many companies are utilizing computerized applicant tracking systems these days to scan resumes before they even make it to a set of human eyes. Does your resume highlight your skills and accomplishments, demonstrate if you are a good fit for the position you’re applying to, flow well, and is streamlined and visually appealing? In this three-part blog series, we will offer a quick resume checklist to help make your resume stand out and get you in the door for an interview!
Part Three: Overall Formatting of Your Resume
- Ensure your resume is overall visually appealing and streamlined for a hiring manager to read.
- Pay attention to proper font size, margins, spacing, bolding, and white space.
- Double check to make sure there are no typos and that you have correct punctuation and grammar, including proper verb tense, throughout your resume.
- Ensure your current and previous employers and titles (including promotions) are clearly displayed.
- Include any relevant training, certifications, computer, language, technical skills, professional associations, and community involvement (if applicable).
Did you miss Part One: Professional Summaries or Part Two: Accomplishment Statements of this blog series?
Note: This blog post only touches on certain aspects of this topic and is not a comprehensive list. This blog post is an educational and informational resource for job seekers and is not a substitute for working with a resume writer or other professional. See our Terms and Conditions for additional information.
Please leave us a comment in the “Speak your Mind” section and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. We love hearing from our readers on our blog series.
Finding a job in today’s market can be tough. I am glad to know that there are things that you can do to ensure your resume stands out. The tips you provided on creating an efficient resume seem helpful. I will have to be sure to pay close attention to details.